COCONUT OIL IS CLASSIFIED AS A “SUPERFOOD.” IT CONTAINS HOLISTIC BENEFITS FOR VARIOUS ASPECTS OF YOUR HEALTH, INCLUDING PEAK PERFORMANCE ENERGY AND ENDURANCE. ITS HEALTHY FAT ACTUALLY PROMOTES WEIGHT LOSS.
Anyone who knows me or has heard me lecture knows that I am a little over the top in my excitement about the amazing healing properties of coconut oil. That said, it should come as no surprise that when I suffered two minor life-threatening injuries last week (I burned my thumb while trying to devour shrimp scampi directly out of a hot pan and then cut the other thumb while filing paperwork) I immediately turned to coconut oil to help me recover. For each dramatic (and did I mention life threatening?) injury I dabbed a little bit of coco- nut oil onto the burn or cut after I had washed it with soap, put a bandaid over it (a Tinkerbell bandaid, to be specific) and within 24 hours I had completely soft skin with no blis- ters or scars. Don’t act like you’re not impressed!
When eaten, coconut oil offers benefits including improved thyroid function, weight loss, anti-viral and immune support, and liver detoxification (for more info, see the book The Coco- nut Oil Miracle, previously published as “The Healing Miracle of Coconut Oil.” In addition to all of these benefits, coconut oil can also be used topically for:
- First Aid to prevent scars and infection
- Prevention of stretch marks
- Diaper rash
- Sexual lubricant (this works really well for menopausal women or those on non-latex forms of birth control but please don’t use it if you’re relying on latex for birth control since any kind of oil will cause latex to degrade)
- Curly hair or dry ends (keep away from roots un- less they are extremely dry or you’re looking for that “haven’t showered for 10 days” greasy look)
What I do is buy coconut oil online in bulk so I can use it for cooking and other household needs. It doesn’t need to be organic (coconuts don’t need a lot of pesticide application to grow) and if you don’t particularly like a coconut flavor in cooking, then don’t buy the extra virgin variety. This is the first press of coconut and will have more of that flavor than the later presses. The only thing you really need to watch out for when buying coconut oil is that you aren’t buying a hydrogenated product, which will pretty much negate any benefits of coconut oil because it has been processed to contain trans fats — a scientific rant on trans fats coming soon. It should say on the side of the bottle whether the coconut oil is hydrogenated or not. Any brand of coconut oil will do as long as it is not hydrogenated — just look around and see what you can find for a good price.
Once I get the coconut oil in, I divide it out into small jars or other screw-top containers and leave them around the house as needed for moisturizer or lip balm (melt it and add a few drops of essential oil in for a nice smell) and for first aid for situations like the ones I found myself in last week. I know my injuries were not as exciting as they could have been, but I have known people who had second degree burns and were able to heal with no scars by using coconut oil on the burn site. No kidding!
I love the body butter that I buy at the body shop but it is expensive and has a few questionable ingredients, so once I ran out of it I decided to make a homemade version. I kept the body butter container, washed it out, and poured into it a combination of gently melted coconut oil (about 8 oz.) and my favorite essential oils (about 30 drops). Swirl this mix a few times so the ingredients blend together, then store in a cool place until the coconut oil solidifies. This stuff works great as a moisturizer or lip balm with the added benefits of nourishing the skin, preventing scars, reducing the visibility of existing scars, and preventing stretch marks.
TRUTHS ABOUT COCONUT
• Beneficial oils inside coconut are me- tabolized differently by our bodies, helping improve brain functionality
• Coconut is still a primary source of food for many civilizations around the world who live free of Western dis- eases
• Coconut water and the gel inside green coconuts can be fed to a baby when there is no breast milk
• Even though coconut contains a tre- mendous amount of fat, it is healthy fat that actually helps you burn the bad fat by increasing your energy ex- penditure
• Lauric acid in coconut oil can kill infec- tious and contagious bacteria, vi- ruses, and fungi
• Coconut oil helps boost metabolism and raise body temperatures to pro- mote thyroid health
• Coconut water provides minerals and hydration, necessary to maintain good health
• Coconut oil helps heal skin diseases